Santa’s naughty list shows pork industry in trouble
Santa has provided SAFE with an early copy of this year’s naughty list as it prominently features many animal-abusing industries and businesses, with NZPork topping the list.
Santa told SAFE he is dismayed that there are plenty of scrooges who abuse animals for the sake of profit and who will be getting a lump of coal instead of presents.
NZPork tops Santa’s list for allowing animals to be kept in squalid factory farming conditions, letting farmers get away with neglecting and abusing pigs, and for misleading consumers with their bogus PigCare scheme.
Also featured on the list are the Ministry of Primary Industries for failing to prosecute two pig farms that were filmed neglecting and abusing animals, and the ‘Professional Bull Riders’ for their cruel rodeo event that resulted in a bull being so severely injured he had to be euthanised.
SAFE’s work is entirely funded by donations provided by the public and receives no government funding. This year, SAFE has helped achieve a ban on party pill testing on animals, campaigned on cosmetics testing, successfully lobbied the government to ban the routine bashing of calves to death and initiated three high-profile exposés of cruelty on factory pig farms.
SAFE’s work is vital to expose cruel practices such as those seen in the New Zealand pig industry. SAFE will hold its national annual street appeal this Friday and Saturday (19/20 December).
The Naughty List
1) NZPORK for allowing animals to be kept in squalid factory farming conditions, letting farmers get away with neglecting and abusing pigs, and for misleading consumers with their bogus PigCare scheme.
2) The Ministry of Primary Industries, for failing to prosecute the two pig farms that were filmed neglecting and abusing animals. MPI said there is “insufficient evidence” to do anything about the cruelty.
3) The dairy industry for killing two million calves in 2014, just days after birth. Known as bobby calves, they are taken from their mothers and discarded as waste products.
4) ‘Professional Bull Riders’ for their cruel rodeo event that resulted in a bull being so severely injured he had to be euthanised.
5) Glassons for not withdrawing an advert glamourising the cruelty of rodeo despite learning about the animal welfare issues and receiving a huge flurry of complaints.
6) Craddocks Farms for submitting a proposal for a mega factory farm which would condemn 310,000 hens to suffering in cruel colony cages.
7) The National Animal Welfare Advisory Committee (NAWAC) for refusing to ban rodeo and allowing colony cages to be used in New Zealand, despite massive animal welfare issues.
8) The National Animal Ethics Advisory Committee (NAEAC) for continuing to allow the suffering of thousands of animals in cruel and unscientific testing and experiments.
9) The Poultry Industry Association (PIANZ) for breeding chickens that are so unhealthy that over 8000 die every day of disease.
10) The Government for failing to significantly improve animal welfare laws for animals in New Zealand, and in particular, not taking action to ban on cosmetics testing on animals.
Please donate now and help us pressure those on the ‘naughty list’ to improve the lives of animals into 2015 and beyond.
17 December 2014