Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add oil, onion, garlic, ginger, chilli and salt. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onions are soft, stirring occasionally.
Add the chickpeas, water, cumin, turmeric and pepper and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until the water evaporates. Add the tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes to soften.
Remove from heat, stir through lemon juice and taste for seasoning. Stir through spinach leaves then set aside for a few minutes before serving.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2 tsp ginger, grated
- 2 green chillies, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 800g tinned chickpeas, drained
- 1/4 C water
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 100g baby spinach