Smoked Tomato Soup
In a large pot on a medium heat, in a little olive oil and a knob of margarine, fry the onions, carrots and celery for around 10 minutes until they start to soften.
Add the fresh tomatoes and the tomato puree, stock, salt, sugar and pepper and stir to combine. Put on a lid and bring up to a rapid simmer.
Remove the lid and turn the heat down to a gentler simmer and let the soup cook uncovered for around 20 minutes – the carrots need to be soft. Once they are, remove the pan from the heat.
Blend the soup with a stick blender and then add the liquid smoke and stir thoroughly. Place back onto the hob on a low heat.
Turn on the grill and take the diced croutons and tip them onto a baking sheet close together so there are few gaps.
Ladle the soup into bowls, top with a swirl of extra virgin olive oil, a spoon of the croutons and pinch of the chopped chives.
- 2 large carrots, peeled, roughly chopped
- 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 2 medium red onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 C fresh tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 C tomato purée
- 3 ¼ C vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp tomato purée
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- A generous grind of black pepper
- A knob of margarine
- A slug of olive oil
- 2 drops (no more!) of liquid smoke
- 3 slices of bread, crusts removed, diced and left to dry in a low oven for 20 minutes
- Chopped chives and extra virgin olive oil for finishing