Easy, affordable, inspired food
- Toast, bagels, muffins or crumpets with dairy-free margarine, Marmite, jam, peanut butter, avocado, or whatever you fancy!
- Tomatoes, mushrooms and veggie sausages with toast.
- Scrambled tofu – use whatever veggies, spices, and herbs suit your tastes.
- Baked beans on toast.
- The Full English Breakfast.
- Muesli or porridge (made with almond or soy milk for an extra health boost). Add raisins, jam or cinnamon to spice it up.
- Cereals with soy or almond milk. Many of your favourite cereals are made without animal products. Just read the ingredients!
- Smoothies - blend up some fruit and experiment! Bananas and soy milk make a good base.
- Baked potatoes – with margarine, dairy-free sour cream, chives or your favourite veggie fillings (or swap the potato for a kumura!).
- Nachos with dairy-free cheese – experiment with different ingredients, like olives, jalapenos, beans, and served with salsa or guacamole.
- Sandwich, wrap or bagel with roasted veggies, salad, hummus, Marmite, jam, peanut butter, dairy-free cream cheese.
- Bruschetta – diced tomato and minced garlic on toast with olive oil and a bit of salt.
- Instant noodles – add your own veggies, tofu and soy sauce or miso paste.
- Soup – homemade or store-bought (check the ingredients for chicken stock or dairy products).
- Pasta with baby spinach, olives and fresh tomatoes.
- Couscous with zucchini and mushrooms in tomato pasta sauce.
- Pasta with oil, garlic, chilli, capers and olives. Serve with a side salad.
- Roast veggies – heaps of them with veggie gravy.
- Pasta with chopped veggie sausages in tomato sauce.
- Fried rice with veggies and soy sauce.
- Shepherd's pie – beans, lentils, and veggies with your favourite flavours, topped with mashed potato.
- Veggie sausage and mash, served with veggie gravy.
- Veggie and tofu stir fry with noodles – Add soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce for flavour.
- Pizza – Create your own veggie pizza with al your favourite toppings (just ask them to leave out the cheese). Some places like Hell Pizza even have dairy-free cheese!
- Burgers – Grab a veggie burger with chips. Burger Fuel has three great options.
- Sanwiches – Most cafes can make you a yummy veggie sandwich, bagel or focaccia. Ask for the veggie patty or veggie delight at Subway.
- Sushi – Most sushi places offer veggie options. St. Pierre's is happy to make you a fresh one and welcomes special requests!
- Pie – Z Energy has a famous Mexican vegan pie that is available across New Zealand.
- Veggie Wraps or Falafel – Filled with lots of salad, veggies, tahini and hummus.
- Mixed nuts
- Trail mix
- Fresh and dried fruit
- Hummus – with carrot or celery sticks, corn chips, or rice crackers
- Dark chocolate
For a complete meal planner, check out Plant Based on a Budget, which can keep your weekly food costs under $40 per week, while still making sure you're getting everything you need to stay healthy.
You don't have to be a master chef to create mouthwatering vegetarian dishes in the kitchen. With just a few simple steps and easy-to-find ingredients, you can serve up meals that have your friends and family begging for more.
After you've got a few favourites under your belt, explore our recipes section for some truely divine food. And don't forget that there are plenty of substitutes out there, so you can still enjoy all your old favourites.
What about restaurants? Whether you're heading to a place in your neighbourhood or traveling overseas, lots of veg-friendly restaurants are all around us.